Off Campus Accommodation
There is a range of private off campus accommodation available near all Gold Coast Campuses. Please note the following information is a guide only and Griffith University has no affiliation with any of the businesses listed below.
Short Term Accommodation
Short term accommodation such as hotels and motels is a good option if you have not been able to find somewhere to live prior to your arrival in Australia. Below is a short list of affordable accommodation options nearby to each of the Griffith University Campuses.
Long Term Accommodation
Long term accommodation is the most cost effective option for stays of six months or longer. There are three main types of long term accommodation:
- 1 Bedroom Apartment - Students have their own private bedroom, kitchen, living areas and bathroom. Students are responsible for all their own bills and purchase and prepare all meals themselves. Furnished and unfurnished options are available.
- Share house - Students have their own private bedroom and share a bathroom, kitchen and living areas with their housemates. Bills are shared between the housemates and students may choose to either shop and cook together or individually. Most sharehouses are unfurnished but some furnished options are available.
- Boarding house/hostel - Students rent a private bedroom in a dormitory and share a bathroom, kitchen and living areas with others. Bills are generally included in the weekly rent and the rooms and common areas are furnished. Some boarding houses are catered while in others students are responsible for purchasing and preparing their own meals.
Things to Consider
- Cost – how much can you afford to pay for rent and food per week?
- Meals – do I want meals to be provided or do I want to be able to cook for myself?
- Location – Will I be able to travel easily to University, shops etc?
- Public transport– is public transport nearby? Is it available at night and on weekends?
- Living arrangements – do I want to stay with my friends/meet new friends/live on my own?
- Bills – do I want the responsibility of telephone/internet/gas bills?
- Furniture – do I want furnished or unfurnished accommodation?
Off-Campus Accommodation Listings
- Griffith website - campus life post commercial listings on their website
- Websites - Share Accommodation, Easy Room Mate, Gumtree, Somewhere To Stay,
The Pad, RealEstate.com
- Real Estate Agents - LJ Hooker, Domain, Professionals, Raine and Horne, Ray White,
Education Lodge Property Management
- Newspapers - The Courier Mail, Quest newspaper and Southern Star
- The Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA)has information on your rights and responsibilities on renting in Australia, information on bonds and dispute resolution services.
- The Queensland Department of Housing also has information on dispute resolution.
- Energex is an electricity and gas company, you may need to contact them to connect your electricity or gas if you decide to rent on your own or in a share house.
- Mobile, landline phones and internet can be setup by either Optus or Telstra.
- The Inspection check-list (PDF 48k) may help you when conducting property inspections to find the house that is right for you.